Wednesday, April 11, 2012

50 Shades of... Red - Caused by a HUGE Embarrassment!

Hello Blog World.

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. February's NaBloPoMo killed me. I just can't post every day. I think I'm going to try and blog 3-4 times a week. That sounds more up to my speed.

I have been reading some amazing books lately.

When She Woke is a futuristic retelling of The Scarlet Letter (a favorite). However instead of wearing a red "A," the main character gets dyed red (also known as "chromed" in the book). It deals with religion and abortion and personal rights. Very relevant right now. Go check it out!!

Maybe I haven't admitted it here, but I did admit it on Mandy's awesome blog when I was Geek of the Week, but I am addicted to reading Young Adult Literature. Go ahead -- judge me. I am embarrassed as it is. However, I know a lot of my friends out there read them, too!

So, I have been reading a lot of that genre's books based in dystopian societies (thank you, Hunger Games and The Giver) -- a theme I've always enjoyed reading.

Delirium and it's sequel Pandemonium take place in a society that does not believe in love. At a certain age, older teenagers have a procedure done to cure amor deliria nervose, or delirium. Can you imagine living in a world without love? I can't wait to read the next book in this series!!

From there, I read Divergent. In future Chicago, people are divided into different virtue factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Amity (the peaceful), Erudite (the intellegent), and Dauntless (the brave). Oh wow -- did I love this! The sequel, Insurgent comes out next month. Cannot wait!!!

A lot of my friends have read these same books and loved them as much as me. A dear friend and I were texting and she said she was reading a new book. One that I've heard a lot about (or at least one I thought I'd heard a lot about). According to The New York Times Bestseller list, this book is ranked number one: 50 Shades of Grey. Now, I heard it was a bit raunchy, but I assumed it was the adult version of Forever by Judy Blume (that I'm sure every American woman read during her early, formative preteen/teen years). So, when my very good friend who is a conservative church-attending woman said she was reading it, I figured it couldn't be that bad.

I was wrong. On SOOOO many levels.

First of all, it is horribly written. It began as a Twilight fan fic. And I don't think the editors changed anything. Horrible, horrible writing. Ugh.

Then, it got bad. I'm not a prude, but I felt uncomfortable reading this. I went to text my amazing friend that she was out of her mind and I never knew she had a wild side like this.

And that's when I saw her previous text.

She wasn't reading 50 Shades of Grey.

She was reading BETWEEN Shades of Gray.

Oooops!

Totally different kind of book. And one MUCH more my taste.

So, I am going to start reading BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY soon. And I'm deleting 50 Shades of Grey off of my iPad because it is terrible.

Now, mind you, I admitted ALL of this on facebook, saying how horrible I thought 50 Shades of Grey's writing was. So, I told all of my wonderful friends and family, Mason's teachers and coaches, that I was reading an erotic book. Goodness gracias!!!

***** Check out Mandy's new Geek of the Week about MASON!! *****

No comments: