Friday, February 24, 2012

My Vow

Day 24 of NaBloPoMo and I am still not posting my crafts. Maybe I will start a new "Silhouette Saturday" feature. Hm.

Tonight, I went to dinner and a movie with my mom and dear friend, Laura. My boys have friends over every other Friday for Game Night, so I always try to go out, too.

We went to see The Vow. Mom had read the book, which I plan on, too. In it, a husband and wife get in a car accident which leaves the wife with amnesia. She can remember her life up to a certain point, but nothing at all about her life with her husband. He spends the movie trying to help her. It was loosely based on a true story.

I love my husband with every ounce of my being. I know I don't say it enough. And I really know I don't show it enough either.

What would I do if he didn't remember me? If he didn't remember how (or why) we fell in love? How would I react? Would I fight through every possibly obstacle to get Mark to remember me or fall back in love with me?

At our wedding, we vowed to love each other in sickness and in health. But so many times, you hear stories about people falling apart during a time of need. My own father pulled further away from us after my car accident. The statistic of couples divorcing, especially if an illness/disability occurs to their children is ridiculously high. Do they not remember their vows?

I would hope Mark and I would hold strong to each other if, God forbid, something were ever to happen to Mason.

If you love someone enough to vow to spend your entire life with them, that doesn't just mean when everything is hunky-dory and peachy-keen. It's the bad times. The sad times. And, to quote Jimmy Buffett, "the going half-mad times." I think too many forget that. Or decide it's just not important anymore.


No comments: