Friday, February 17, 2012

Sons vs. Daughters

Day 17 of NaBloPoMo and I really do not like the prompt, but I will write about it:

Friday, February 17, 2012
What do you think of the saying, "A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter all of her life."

I hope this isn't true. I want Mason to one day get married, obviously, but I also want to be a part of his life forever. While it's true in my situation (we usually spent most holidays with my family), I think it depends on how close you are to your parents/family.

Growing up, we spent ALL holidays at my maternal grandparents' home. My paternal grandparents wintered in Florida, so they were never home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I'm sure we may have seen them on Easter, but I remember spending all holidays with my maternal grandparents.

So, it just seemed natural that we would do the same.

Mind you, Mason is not even thirteen years old. I have no idea what will happen in the future, but I do know I will work my hardest forever to make sure I have a wonderful relationship with my son (and I know Mark will, too). I want him to be happy. And I will pray that includes spending time with us forever.

People have commented how unfair it is to have an only child because Mason will have to make sole decisions on our well-being once we age. That's an entirely different blog entry, but I think because Mason "only has us," we have a much more unique situation.

So, what do I think? I think that saying is a bunch of... well, crap.

No comments: