Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday's Slight Obsession

I am slightly obsessed with curly hair products. Ok. That is an out-right lie. I am, what some might call, a "product junkie." If I read an even slightly positive review on a hair product, I will try it. I have found tons that I hated, a lot that I liked, but only a few that I have loved. Today, I want to share four with you.

First of all, I need to share the website where I find tons of fabulous curly info, reviews, styling advice, even salon recommendations (and bonus? It's based in Austin! While I have never been to one of their events, I'm hoping to soon!): http://www.naturallycurly.com Now, I know what some of you are thinking, "It's just... HAIR!" No. No it's not. Curly hair has a mind of it's own. You need to know how to properly take care of it in order for it to behave properly -- just as you would a three year old child.

My friend, Dana, has beautiful red, curly hair that is never frizzy, always shiny and bouncy. What can I say? I covet my friend's hair. hehe. Anyway, one day, I finally asked her what she used to get such pretty tresses. She shared her secret with me -- one that I think she said she used since high school (I could ask her, but someone is skiing in Colorado over our school's winter break and too busy right now) and now, I'm going to share it with you. Biolage Gelee by Matrix. It is silicon and glycerin-free -- two very bad things for curls. This works best in my hair when I dry it with a diffuser. Sometimes, if I let it air-dry, this will give my hair product-flakes (not dandruff, but a white film on your hair -- especially noticeable with dark brown hair like mine!) and definitely crunchy -- but if I scrunch the crunchies away slightly, the crunches go away!
Mason's sixth grade Language Arts/Quest teacher also has amazing, curly hair that looks effortless. I finally asked her what she uses (I have no shame asking this question!) and she told me she goes to Sally's and buys Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Kick Up Your Curls Curling Creme. This works best when I let my hair air-dry (See? Told you my hair has a mind of it's own!) and leaves no crunches, just nice, soft curls. However, sometimes it leaves my curls too soft, which can sometimes lead to frizzies. That's why I switch back and forth between this and Biolage. This product is sulfate, glycerin, and paraben-free (again, nasty stuff for curls!) and, more importantly, very inexpensive!!!
Most hairdryers come with this odd, spiky nozzle attachment that they claim to be diffusers. A diffuser "diffuses" the air, which can make curls curlier and less frizzy. However, most of these generic ones that come with hair dryers just stink. The best one? The Hot Sock! I used to have to bring one with me when I got my hair cut because my stylist (who I love and adore) didn't have a decent diffuser. It is just this foam sock that slides on the end of a hair dryer. Where you position it helps with the flow of the air (the looser it sits on the dryer, the less air flows through). And for about $7? Totally cheapy curly necessity!!!
Finally, this is a product that even my non-curly friends will like -- I promise! This summer, when we thought we were still moving to Florida, my dear friend Cory was helping me pack up the house. When we tackled the master bathroom, she squealed, "Oh My Gosh -- YOU HAVE WEN!" Have you seen the Wen Haircare infomercials at all? Been sucked in to how luxurious their hair looks? Yeah... me, too. Only I actually bought the darn thing (Told you I was a product junkie!). However, it is VERY expensive. And hard to use. And, you use A LOT of it. So, every time I washed my hair, I felt like I was washing $10 down the drain (yuk yuk). I googled Wen reviews and found a different, CHEAPER product that I actually love more -- and I think it works better!!! Hair One Cleanser and Conditioner by Fiske sold at Sally's. For just $10.50 (buy the Sally's $5 Beauty Club Card each year -- it's worth it!), it is over half of the price of the Wen bottle. Sure, the Wen bottle has a nicer pump. Um... big deal - my hair looks the same -- dare I say even BETTER -- I can deal with a cheaper pump. They have different kinds for different hair: dry, normal, curly, color-treated, and dry scalp. And -- they even sell it in small trial sizes to see if you can use the system. Like Wen, it's very similar in application -- it's a little time consuming (it takes about 10 minutes of scrubbing, rinsing, scrubbing, and waiting -- read the package!), but well worth it. Hair One (and Wen) are so much better for your hair because they don't have the harsh chemicals that normal shampoos have. Try it -- I'm pretty sure you'll love it, too!!!
What's your favorite hair product?

*I am not being compensated by reviewing these products. All opinions are 100% and I am not paid for them! :)

3 comments:

Jenn and Casey said...

As a fellow curly girl, I understand and condone this obsession. One must always be on the lookout for the best PRODUCT!!! PRODUCT is EVERYTHING for us. Ahem. Anyhoo, I use "Pureshine" gel spray, a recent find that I LOVE. Nice tight curls with no crunchy crunchy. I will add your products to my list of must try!!

Michele Flowers Brooks said...

I love Arch Angel by DevaCurl (from Ulta) and Sammy Curl (at HEB). I can't wait to try the ones you have talked about. And you are so right, curls are totally different!

CurlyKristen said...

I LOVE DevaCurl's stuff! I want to go to Devachan when we go to NYC this fall. I have followed Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl technique for years. She is an inspiration for curls!!! :)